"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world , and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:6-10

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A change of plans.

I had a list of things I wanted to get done today.  I was working my way through it when I opened the door of my refrigerator and saw this mess sitting in the bottom:
This is mostly vegetables left from last week's CSA share.  And I needed to pick up more today.  Sigh.  My plans for the day changed as I realized I would need to deal with all of these veggies before I could hope to fit in more.  So here's what I did.

 I had this leftover chicken breast and some leftover white rice, so I decided to make my Chicken Rice Casserole and use what I had on hand.

I diced up a head of bok choy, some celery and a half an onion and sauteed it in olive oil until it was all tender.  Then I added the vegetable mixture to the rice, the diced chicken breast, a can of cream of mushroom soup, about a cup of sour cream, a couple of large handfuls of cheese and some assorted spices and herbs I thought would go well:
When it was all mixed together I put it in a 9 x 13 pan for dinner that night. I later cooked it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and it was delicious.  Meanwhile, I turned my attention to the rest of the veggies.

I chopped up 2 heads of romaine and a half of a head of leftover raddicio and placed it in some water to "revive" a bit.  When it was nice a crisp I spun it and placed it back in the bowl to put in the fridge for quick salads (with the lid on, of course).  Then I moved on to the 3 green peppers and the bag of hot peppers I had on hand:

The green peppers I chopped small and put in the fridge.  I plan to use them to can salsa this weekend.  The hot peppers I minced as small as I could get them (wearing gloves...I highly recommend that!  No sense in suffering painful burns as evidence of your industriousness).  I placed them in a pint comtainer and will use them for salsa and possibly a batch of my hubby's famous jalapeno jelly.

I buy organic carrots from Costco in huge bags and was at the end of this one.  They were getting a bit funky, so I peeled, cut and placed them in water with the rest of the celery.  They will crisp up nicely and will serve me well when my kids are begging for a snack at 5:00.  A little ranch and they're happy campers.

Because I am crazy and get a ridiculous amount of joy out of using every last bit of my food, I took the non-funky carrot, onion and celery peels and pieces and put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.  When I cook a whole chicken I will grab a couple of these bags and throw them in a crockpot over night with the carcass and have instant chicken stock.  Sigh.  It's a beautiful thing.

This is what I had left to put back in the fridge.  Much more manageable!  And I even took those two zucchinis and made marvelous zucchini bread tonight.  I used my Mother-In-Law's recipe and just substituted melted coconut oil for the 1 cup oil.  It is delicious (oh, and I added some chopped milk chocolate...I think that helped a bit! )

Barbara's Yummy Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 C. Sugar
2 C. shredded Zucchini
3 C. Flour
1 t. Baking Soda
1 t. Salt
3 t. Cinnamon
3 T. Vanilla
1 C. Oil
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Blend all ingredients.  Fill 2 buttered loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment